Previewing the 39th Annual Florida DIRTcar Nationals by University of Northwestern Ohio
Barberville, FLFebruary 2, 2010The first green flag of the 2010 season is about to fly for the World of Outlaws in the 39th Annual Florida DIRTcar Nationals by University of Northwestern Ohio at Volusia Speedway Park, February 5-7. Following the closest point race in series history that saw Donny Schatz edge Jason Meyers by just 19 points to win the title, another stout field of drivers is assembled and ready to do battle in the nine month nearly 80-race campaign.
Donny Schatz and Joey Saldana, the two winningest drivers in World of Outlaws competition last season, were victorious at in the DIRTcar Nationals last season, with Schatz winning both the opener and finale, while Saldana picked up a victory on the second night of the three-day tilt, in a thrilling battle with Jason Sides that came down to a last lap, last corner pass.
Of the 11 drivers that have won with the World of Outlaws at Volusia Speedway Park, eight will be in action this season, with seven of them competing full-time with the series. Craig Dollansky, Jason Meyers and Danny Lasoski all scored their first wins with the series at the half-mile in 2008, with Chad Kemenah picking up his first win with the series at the half-mile in 2006, while 20-time series champion Steve Kinser was victorious in 2005, after two straight runner-up finishes.One of the strongest fields in the history of the DIRTcar Nationals is expected in 2010, as drivers from coast-to-coast look to get the feel of the new tires from Goodyear and get a head start on the season.
Donny Schatz looks to keep his hot streak at Volusia Speedway going, after winning two of the three nights with the World of Outlaws last season and two of the three nights with the All Star Circuit of Champions.
- Steve Kinser will turn his first laps driving for Tony Stewart Racing on the World of Outlaws trail aboard the No. 11 Bass Pro Shops Maxim.
- Joey Saldana looks to carry the momentum from his 20-win season in 2009 into the new season as he begins his fifth year at Kasey Kahne Racing.
- Jason Meyers looks to climb to the top of the podium after two consecutive runner-up finishes in the championship standings. His entire team returns intact from last season.
- All drivers will compete with Goodyear tires on the right and left rear wheel positions, which will bring one of the strongest fields in DIRTcar Nationals history to Volusia for the three-day event.
- Cody Darrah begins his rookie season with the World of Outlaws aboard the No. 91 for Kasey Kahne Racing.
- Double file restarts will be used for the first time in several years beginning in the DIRTcar Nationals at Volusia.
- Craig Dollansky will be back behind the wheel of a No. 7 machine for Big Game Motorsports. The veteran has won two of the last three DIRTcar Nationals titles.
- Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar will take to the road for the first time and battle Cody Darrah for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award.
Over the years World of Outlaws Previous A-Feature winners at Volusia Speedway Park:
2009 World of Outlaws Season Review: Donny Schatz
Concord, NC—December 4, 2009—Donny Schatz continued to make history in 2009, placing himself in an elite company in a couple of different categories. He claimed his fourth consecutive World of Outlaws title to become just the second driver ever to do that and he also won his 100th career A-Feature event to become just the fifth driver in the 30-plus year history of the series to accomplish that feat.
In his second season driving for Tony Stewart Racing, the North Dakota native won 12 times and led the series with 39 Top-Five finishes en route to claiming the title by just 19 points over Jason Meyers, making it the closest finish in World of Outlaws history.
“It’s a great season when you can win a championship and be the most consistent,” said Schatz. “It’s rewarding. I’m glad to be a part of this. I’m a lucky guy to be part of this and I can’t say thanks enough to the guys that work hard on these race cars for me and make sure they don’t fall apart. They make sure I have a fast car and am competitive. I have to thank Tony Stewart for what he has done for us and keeping us on our edge.”
Schatz picked up his 100th career World of Outlaws A-Feature win in his home state at Dacotah Speedway in Mandan on August 22, putting him in the record books with Steve Kinser, Sammy Swindell, Mark Kinser and Doug Wolfgang as the only drivers to cross the century mark in their careers. In his career with the World of Outlaws, Schatz has won at 53 different tracks in 24 states along with one Canadian Province as well as in Australia.
and to unveil No. 15 Car
Racing icon, Mario Andretti, and three-time World of Outlaws Sprint Series and champion, Donny Schatz, will unveil the No. 15 STP/ParkerStore/Chevy J&J entry that Schatz will drive in the 49th Annual Knoxville Nationals on Tuesday, August 11th, at the . The car pays tribute to Andretti’s 1969 victory in the Indianapolis 500, which he won in an STP-sponsored entry. The No. 15 entry will resemble the No. 2 STP/Brawner-Hawk machine that Andretti drove in the . It will carry the distinctive ‘hunting red’ scheme and gold wheels that are symbolic of Andretti’s car. Schatz will look to give the STP brand its first Knoxville Nationals modern-day victory and honor Andretti’s Indianapolis 500 triumph in the 2009 Knoxville Nationals. If Schatz were to win the event, it would be his fourth career and consecutive Knoxville Nationals title and make him the second driver in the event’s history to win four consecutive titles.